Mar 24, 2011

Animators Are Not Actors - Part 3

This is the third post about how I feel animators are not actors. Click here and here for the other two posts. But before I continue, let me briefly make it clear what I mean about that animators are not actors.

Like mentioned before in the other two posts, I believe that their needs to be a clear distinction between an animator and actor. We need to understand how actors work but we should never think that we are the best and only acting resource!

To continue this lesson, I recently found an article from Vanity Fair. Photographer Howard Schatz took pictures of actors playing different roles. In each image, the actors play a role and in each image you can clearly see what it is they are performing. This is a great example of how we as animators can use many, many different resources for our animations. I made some facial expressions with the Norman rig and a few of the images from that article. You can see the article yourself here.


Whenever you work on your animations use the abundant amount of references provided by world class actors. They can and will give you a great insight into character performance.

Later Animators!

Here are the links to the continuation of this topic
Part 1
Part 2
Part 4
Part 5

No comments: