Aug 15, 2011

Latest Artwork


My wife challenged me to create a Disney style princess based of the character Aida from the opera Aida. This is what I came up with...


I personally like this better than what was designed for a proposed 2D animated film of Aida by Disney that didn't make past concept and early pre-production. This is what a character designer from Disney made. Aida is on the far left...:




Even though I like the designs of these characters, I do not think these designs do justice to the opera or to the legacy of Disney princesses. They are too stylized and way too exaggerated. These seemed more like a Dreamworks production than it would be for Disney. I'm actually glad this didn't get a green light to go through with full production. With the latest Disney films to be released that have princesses The Princess and the Frog and Tangled, I feel that those films and the designs fit perfectly into the Disney style and family.


Here are some other sketches I've made. I did these drawings for my friends on Facebook.

Elephant
Alligator

Sloth

Platypus

Maltese Puppy

Koala

Ballerina Hippo from Fantasia

Russell - The little boy from Pixar's UP

No comments: